KVA Grants Fund
Deadline: October 15th
Application form can be found at the bottom of this page.
Provide financial assistance for qualifying not-for-profit community groups to support eligible
events and projects that will benefit the Klondike region.
Applicable to all not-for-profit organizations in Dawson City. Preference will be given to those
who do not have a current Community Events Casinos (CEC) agreement in place or CEC
Up to $20,000 per year.
The maximum KVA Grants Fund contribution to support an approved event or project will be
$2,000. Subject to available funds and based on merit, additional amounts may be considered.
Preference will be given to groups that are able to fundraise and/or obtain additional support
from other sources. Funding will be paid out after submission and approval of an
Applications will be reviewed and grants will be disbursed in accordance with KVA policy and
practice. Applications must be submitted on the application form provided. All applications
that are complete and meet the criteria will be considered for funding.
Eligibility & Assessment Criteria
- Applicant must be a registered not-for-profit group in good standing
- Applicant must demonstrate a significant contribution to the proposed project (includes inkind
or financial contribution)
- Must be some evidence or track record confirming the ability of the group or organization to
undertake the project and successfully complete it
- Must be of benefit to the community and visitors
- Be held within the Klondike region
- The majority of the group or organization’s members must reside in the Klondike
- A component of the project/event will provide a lasting contribution to the Klondike
- Should not compete or be in conflict with other related events or projects
- No grant application will be entertained from any group or organization if previous funds
granted under this program are not fully accounted for
- Groups must ensure that their events have appropriate liability insurance and that all
necessary licenses and permits are obtained
- Preference will be given to groups who do not have a current CEC agreement in place or CEC
- Applications may have more than one component, which may occur at different times
- Expenses that are directly related to the project
- Equipment with a useful life of at least 3 years
- Advertising (signage, banners, etc.)
- Printing costs (tickets, posters, programs, invitations, etc.)
- Supplies and materials specific to the operation of the event/project
- Professional services (music, sound and lighting)
- Facility rental fees for special events may be considered
- Costumes and props
- Participant recognition other than competition prizes or clothing
- Community banquets, dinners & special events (not including the cost of food)
- Retroactive expenses
- Vehicle and operational expenses
- Registration/certification fees
- Office equipment (computers, telephones, fax machines, etc.)
- Operation and maintenance costs
- Travel expenses
- Accommodation, food and beverages
- Administrative expenses (telephone, fax etc.)
- Prizes, give-aways or clothing for personal benefit
All applications will be reviewed for completeness. Complete applications will be assessed by
KVA based on merit within the guidelines. Applicants may be asked for additional information.
Applicants will be notified by KVA in writing within 5 weeks of the application deadline regarding
the status of their application.
Applicants awarded a grant are fully accountable for the expenditure of the funds. Grants are
not transferable between projects or groups/organizations and must be used for the specific
purposes outlined and approved in the grant application. Should an applicant wish to withdraw
or cancel their application, a written request must be submitted to KVA as soon as possible.
Any funds deemed to be surplus to the specific project shall be returned to KVA and be
reallocated to KVA Grants Fund. If the applicant has been approved for funding but the funding
has not been used or has not been accounted for, the project will be deemed ineligible for
funding and the designated funds will be reallocated to KVA Grants Fund. KVA is not
responsible for any deficits or any other risks or liabilities incurred as a result of the project or
any related activities.
A written Accountability Statement, with invoice for funds, must be delivered to KVA within 30
days following completion of the approved project. (A one-month extension for submission of
the Accountability Statement may be granted by KVA upon submission/approval of a written
request prior to the 30 days deadline.)
The Accountability Statement shall contain a description of the completed project, including:
- Brief summary of project highlights and outcome
- Financial report listing all project revenues and expenses and the specific use of
approved funding from KVA Grants Fund
- Copies of third-party invoices/receipts and/or cancelled cheques
The Accountability Statement must be signed by two authorized representatives of
Disbursement of Funds
- Approved funding will only be paid out subject to fulfilment of KVA requirements and
receipt/approval of an Accountability Statement.
- A group/organization shall only be granted funds once per 12-month period.
- Funding will be allocated from current funds only. KVA Grants Fund is unable to provide
guaranteed funding beyond the current year. For example, an allocation of assistance each
year over a three (3) year period is not permitted.
- Retroactive funding is not permitted. Retroactive funding is defined as funding of an
event/project after it has commenced or is completed. If an event/project takes place
between the application deadline and the awarding of funds, it will not be considered
- Successful applicants will be made aware of the terms and conditions of this policy and
must acknowledge acceptance of the same and any other conditions that the KVA or
government legislation may specify.
- Recipients are asked to recognize KVA Grants Fund support on promotional materials (i.e.
posters, website, public announcements, etc.)
- KVA reserves the right of final decision in case of dispute or interpretation regarding the
application or intent of this policy.
Please fill out the application form and email it to: kva (at) dawson.net